Monday, November 19, 2007

Aeroskobing Adventure!




Good Morning! We just returned last night from a trip to the small island of Aero that I mentioned in my last post. It was definitely an adventure. The sights were stunning...like out of a magazine claiming to depict the most adorable spot in the WORLD! Cobblestone streets, houses built in the 1700's (and not changed much since then), old windmills, farms running right to the edge of the sea.



Amazing! We had to take a ferry to get there (from Svendborg to Aero, which can be seen on the map on zoom) which was fun in and of itself. Drove the car right on (dog inside)...then up to the Salon deck for lunch. When we got there drove the car right off and voila! We had stepped back in time! Literally...since nothing was open!!!! Due to our schedule we decided to stay Sat. and Sun. nights which happens to be when everything is closed! When am I going to learn? But we got lots of walking around and pictures on Sun. morning and then decided to leave early and drive leisurely back to Lystrup. We got back Sunday night and were able to preview the town of Odense which is where we are planning on taking Brian's parents and our niece Lili when they come next week. So it worked out well. The kids had fun, especially when we topped our trip off at a Pizza Hut Buffet in Aarhus! And for the bargain price of only $80 US$! I usually don't point out the cost of every meal we eat, but that was actually a good price for our whole family.



Anyway, when Brian was away last week, Owen complained of itchiness. I hate to admit it, but I barely glanced at his skin and diagnosed him with dry skin. We get that a lot here because of the cold outside and heat inside...you know. Well, upon further complaints and inspection, I noticed these red bumps started popping up EVERYWHERE! They had a little blister inside them and were itching him like CRAZY. After lots of searching online and finally calling my nurse mother in law, Owen was diagnosed with CHICKEN POX!!! Yep, that's what it is and he even got his vaccination at 12 months. I took a trip to the local Apotek (pharmacy) and tried to explain to them that he had chicken pox (to get something topical)...I think they thought I was trying to tell them my son was turning into a chicken...the lady looked quite scared! Well, she was very nice and looked up the translation and they don't get that vaccination in Denmark, so it is going around. I called Dr. Vernon's office (our local pediatrician) and his nurse informed me that since last summer, they are recommending that every child get a booster. Just a head's up for those of you who may not know. Actually, the virus wasn't bad and SO FAR hasn't spread to Weston and Miles. Owen says the pox don't itch anymore so I think we are on the mend. But if you look below and see a picture of Owen that looks pretty scary, you'll know why!;o)



Next week our first guests come and we are really excited. Also, we are going to attempt an American Thanksgiving here so be thinking about me braving the grocery store in preparation for that meal. I already have my grocery list translated so that maybe I will know what I am buying! We are inviting two Terma employees who are here on assignment from the Warner Robins office. They both recently graduated from Mercer so we will have a good holiday together.

Hope all is well with everyone. I love this format of being able to let everyone keep up with us, but I am a little upset by it's obvious one-sided nature! If you have the time I would love to hear what's going on with everyone at home so I don't feel like all I am doing is blabbing about all the stuff here all the time! Love to everyone and we miss you! Amanda and fam

No comments: