Hello! It's been awhile since my last post. We had a very nice visit with Brian's parents and niece, Lili. They were here almost a week and I think we ran them ragged. We visited the Queen's Summer home in Aarhus, Build a Bear (for Lili), the train station, Den Gamle By (The Olde Towne...kinda like the Williamsburg of Denmark), the Canal, we saw Santa coming off a boat in the harbor and then parading around downtown Aarhus, we spent the day in Odense and visited the Hans Christian Andersen Museum, then finally we visited Copenhagen and Tivoli amusement park. It was a whirlwind. Not to mention the fact that we probably talked their ears off. They got to see the grocery stores over here, how expensive food and everything else is as well as the beautiful countryside. It was nice.
On to the next note, we are coming home early! Didn't expect to, but when we started looking at it, it just made sense. Basically, we will all fly home 12/18 and stay for Christmas. Brian will leave 1/04 headed back to Denmark. He will work here off and on through Feb 16 when he will return home for good. The reason I say off and on is we have good reason to believe that he will be traveling back and forth to the US for meetings during that time. We figured we could either be at home with our many wonderful supports while he traveled to Denmark or stay in Denmark with no supports while he traveled to the US. The second option just didn't make much sense.
I basically have boiled our trip down to this: It's too long for what it is. When you travel somewhere permanently...to move there, you start getting yourself integrated into the society. You make friends, get involved, start putting down your roots. When you travel somewhere on vacation, you see the highlights and move on. Basically we aren't doing either. We are stuck on a LOOOONG vacation! So that said, it was a wonderful opportunity that we have thoroughly enjoyed and will always treasure the experience. But we are sooo thankful to be coming home!
If you know anything about me, you will know I have done extremely well. I am the homebody of the family. What I mean is, I like to be in familiar surroundings. I love going to the same grocery store for years and knowing all the cashiers by name! I am the one who went to school at Mercer even though my family was living in Forsyth at the time (I did live on campus..at least;o))! Not to say I don't love an adventure or fun trip at times, but basically close to home is where I thrive. So this trip has been huge for me! My Mom made the comment when we left that this was going to be the first time I have ever really left home. Well, I have done that now. And I am ready to come home. No place is perfect, but home is very sweet for sure.
Can't wait to see everyone! For those of you who usually come...I guess the Christmas Eve Gala is ON! Yea!
Much love to everyone!
Amanda and Fam
2 comments:
You guys have done great! Especially with the holidays... It's hard not to be with family and familar things during the holidays! Enjoy your Christmas!
I like the perspective!
Post a Comment